Apollo Bay Distillery has issued a recall after nine bottles of hand sanitiser were incorrectly labelled as gin.
The product recall relates to nine 700ml bottles of SS Casino Gin purchased between Friday 5 June to Sunday 7 June. The bottles were all sold through the Great Ocean Road Brewhouse bottle shop.
The bottles contain 1.45 per cent glycerol and 0.125 per cent hydrogen peroxide. According to Food Standards, products containing glycerol and hydrogen peroxide may cause illness/injury if consumed.
“The bottles were incorrectly labelled and had no seal,” the company stated on its Facebook page.
“We understand they are not toxic.
“Should you have purchased a bottle of SS Casino Gin between Friday 5 June to Sunday 7 June please return it to where you purchased it from for a full refund or replacement.”
According to the product safety recall notice, the bottles can be identified because they have no shrink wrap seal.
⚠️ Food recall VIC ONLY ⚠️Apollo Bay Distillery is recalling SS Casino Dry Gin, 700ml – date “Batch 1” the product is labelled as gin, however it is not gin. The product was sold at Great Ocean Road Brewhouse in VIC from Fri 5 June – Sun 7 June
More at: https://t.co/MRwvIjllpG pic.twitter.com/b0PJW1rLMn
— FoodStandardsAusNZ (@FSANZnews) June 8, 2020
“This product is not to be consumed,” the recall notice states.
“Consumption of the product may have side effects including nausea, headaches, dizziness, bloating, vomiting, thirst and diarrhea.
“If you experience any of these symptoms please seek medical advice.”
A number of local Australian businesses, including breweries and distilleries, have recently shifted their production focus to hand sanitiser after manufacturing rules were eased in an effort to keep up with unprecedented demand caused by the global coronavirus outbreak.
Comment below to have your say on this story.
If you have a news story or tip-off, get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up to INCLEAN’s newsletter.