The Dubai Mall, one of the largest shopping malls in the world, along with 14 additional facilities around the globe have achieved GBAC STAR Facility Accreditation from the Global Biorisk Advisory Council (GBAC).
There are currently more than 3,000 facilities in 66 different countries undergoing the process of earning GBAC STAR accreditation.
Newly accredited facilities include:
- Ashford Castle in Cong, County Mayo, Ireland
- Brazilian Court Hotel in Palm Beach, Fla.
- Chase Center, home to the NBA’s Golden State Warriors, in San Francisco
- The Dubai Mall in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- The Evelyn Hotel in New York City
- Hotel Amigo, a Rocco Forte Hotel in Brussels, Belgium
- Il Sereno Hotel in Torno, Italy
- Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center in Long Beach, Calif.
- The Palace Hotel in Tokyo, Japan
- Palm Springs Convention Center in Palm Springs, Calif.
- Phoenix Convention Center in Phoenix
- Rockliffe Hall in Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, United Kingdom
- United Scrap Metal in Philadelphia
- Villa Pliniana Hotel in Torno, Italy
- Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C.
“We’re excited to announce the Dubai Mall as the largest facility to date to achieve GBAC STAR accreditation along with these other leading venues around the world,” said GBAC executive director Patricia Olinger.
“GBAC STAR can adapt to a facility of any size, type, or location, assuring all who visit that it follows the proper practices, procedures, and systems to prepare, respond, and recover from the global pandemic—and other infectious disease outbreaks in the future.”
With a total internal floor area of 5.9 million square feet, the Dubai Mall welcomes more than 80 million visitors each year and is currently undergoing a massive expansion, paving the way to welcome more than 100 million visitors.
Several five-star hotels, including the historic Ashford Castle built in the 12th century, have successfully achieved GBAC STAR accreditation. The Chase Center joins a growing list of accredited arenas, including the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles.
GBAC STAR is an outbreak prevention, response, and recovery accreditation for all types of facilities, including retail, stadiums and arenas, hotels, restaurants, commercial, and more.
Accreditation ensures a facility has highly skilled and trained cleaning professionals who follow a strict cleaning, disinfection, and infectious disease prevention program to minimize risks associated with infectious agents like the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2).
“No matter where a facility is located, GBAC STAR’s program elements can help organisations establish cleaning and disinfection practices that help prevent the spread of infectious disease,” said ISSA executive director, John Barrett.
More than 40 facilities worldwide have achieved GBAC STAR accreditation to date. GBAC has produced a series of video interviews with executives at accredited facilities about their experience with the GBAC STAR process and what the accreditation means to them.
To review a full list of GBAC STAR accredited facilities, committed facilities, and industry supporters, visit gbac.issa.com/gbac-star-facilities-and-supporters/.
INCLEAN is published by Intermedia on behalf of ISSA
Comment below to have your say on this story.
If you have a news story or tip-off, get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up to INCLEAN’s newsletter.